Thursday 10 November 2011

Truth to Materials in the Bathroom

The house contains many natural resources such as a stone fireplace, and wooden beams.  To create a design that works seamlessly with this, I would like to continue this throughout the rest of the house.  Stone tiles demonstrate the truth to materials theory I have been researching, and so in this post, I have done some initial research. 


The large glass screen shows off the stone surround.  the tiles on the floor give the space dimension, as they are smaller, but the colour still works well with the wall tiles.  They also stop the space blending into one and looking flat.


These tiles look much more geometric and darken the space.  The room I am designing has one long window, and so is a very light space.  This means that it can take the darker colours, however I do not like these particular tiles


This is an example of how very light natural colours have been used.  To me this makes the bathroom look very washed out. there is also very little varying textures so the room has no depth or interest.



This is an example of how other natural textures have been used in a bathroom, demonstrating truth to materials.  I like the wooden sinks, and so I now have another direction to research.  I also like the rustic towel rail, as it works well with the natural look of the room.


These stone tiles are by a company called Lafabbrica Spa.  These combine the idea of truth to materials, but also include an external structure in the design.  The bathroom looks out over a wild flower garden, and so using these tiles would be a direct connection with the outside.